Everyone, at some point in life, reaches a point where they have to prove their identity. An identification card would come in handy in cases like this. Creation and maintenance of I.D. cards is just one more thing that the California DMV is responsible for.
People of any age are able to apply for a state I.D. card at the DMV. The card looks similar to a driver's license.
To apply for an ID card you will need to do the following:
- Visit a DMV office (make an Of Military Forms Examples Driver’s License Valid Voter Ids Interim Identification Identification State Documentation Ohio for faster service)
- Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
- Give a thumb print
- Have your picture taken
- Provide your SSN. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
- Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license)
- Pay the $21 application fee. There is no fee for a senior citizen ID card.
There are certain procedures you need to follow if you must renew or replace your I.D. card. For more information on official policies, please visit the DMV Website here.
To obtain the DL 44 form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133.
DriversEd.com is a privately held company and is in no way associated with the Department of Motor Vehicles, any other government agency, or the driving schools listed in this website. All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. DriversEd.com does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages.